When you first add a new group, you are setting its permissions to the SharePoint site, which is the container for all SharePortals instance data. By default, all content within the SharePortals site – Entities and List information, inherits the same permissions as the site itself. To limit access to an Entity or List, you need to break the inheritance for the container, then add the appropriate users / groups.
1. In the User Permissions SharePoint screen, click site contents. Usually this is accessible in the left navigation, or the cog in the top ribbon.
2. Find the entity or list you want to modify in the list, click the ellipses, and click Settings:
3. Click ‘Permissions for this document library’ or the equivalent option
4. Click Stop Inheriting Permissions and OK the warning:
5. Now this library can have unique permissions separate to other content in this environment. You can at this stage decide to:
- Remove one or more existing groups by ticking the tick box next to their name, then clicking Remove User Permissions
- Edit one or more existing groups by ticking the tick box next to their name, then clicking Edit User Permissions. This takes you to a screen to determine what permissions the group has on this specific container.
- Add an existing user or group to have permission to this container by typing their name, then clicking SHOW OPTIONS to select a permission level. It is recommended to untick Send an email invitation as this will send a link to the user to access information through SharePoint directly instead of SharePortals.